Thursday, April 21, 2016

The Veil Of Mary

     On Monday we flew from Edinburgh, Scotland to Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris. In the airport we saw heavily armed French soldiers providing security.
   
     We rented a car and mom drove through Paris during rush hour. After we got out of Paris we drove to Chartres, France and stayed there for two days.

     While we were in Chartres we visited La Cathedrale Notre-Dame de Chartres. The cathedral was about 1,000 years old. The church inside was very magnificent and also very cold. The cathedral is very popular because the church holds Le Voile de la Vierge or "The Veil of The Virgin". It has traditionally been believed to have been worn by Mary.

     According to experts the relic, made of silk from the Middle East, probably dates from the 1st century. The cathedral and the veil went perfectly together because they both have something to do with Mary and both are very ancient.

     The sun sets late here in Chartres. When it became dark we went back to the cathedral. It was lit up with multicolored lights and spectacular patterns. Choir music was playing in the background. This was an experience I will never forget.
 


3 comments:

  1. Luke, I have never been to that chapel, though I've heard much about it. I didn't realize why so many people recommend going there until I read your post and saw the photo. Yes, I can imagine that it will be a highlight of your life, let alone this trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that's amazing, Luke. I had never heard of this. Thank you for broadening my horizons!

    ReplyDelete